Hand excercises?

Discuss what elements you are practicing here! Feel free to request advice from fellow violinists and share helpful tips!

Hand excercises?

Postby Tabitha on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:44 pm

Anyone have any tips on hand excercises? I'm interested in ones for both the fingering hand and the bowing hand.

My biggest problem seems to be that when I'm concentrating, my hands tense up. I'm wondering if part of the issue is the room I practice in being a bit too cold and making my fingers stiffen?

Re: Hand excercises?

Postby Kim on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:10 pm

A cold room is definitely a violinist's nightmare!

I have orchestra rehearsals on Tuesday nights and I could swear they don't turn any heat on in the room! My fingers turn into ice cubes and it's really hard to play because it makes my fingers stiff and clumsy feeling. So anything you can do to warm your hands up before you play is very helpful!

As far as exercises for the right hand, the spider crawl is a great one! That's when you crawl your fingers (still keeping your correct bow hold) all the way up to the tip of the bow, and then when you get there you crawl back down to the frog where you would normally hold it. Doing this at least once for each practice session is very helpful.

For the left hand, many times it's not the fingers which are tense, it's the thumb! Make sure you're not pinching with the thumb. Even I still struggle with this one! Especially when I'm working on big stretches. So a great trick, is to find a small piece of foam or something else that's small and stick it between your thumb and the violin's neck. Then you will NOTICE everytime you start to squeeze too hard with the thumb! It really helps you become more sensitive to keeping the thumb relaxed, and as a result the rest of the fingers will relax much more too.
"Bach gave us God's Word. Mozart gave us God's laughter.
Beethoven gave us God's fire. God gave us music that we
might pray without words."
-Author Unknown-
Kim

Postby space2000 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:56 pm

Oh god. i don't have such problem with cold cause here is hot..hot..hot..

Hand practice: I use to do in early morning around 5:30am. First move my fingers on left hand as like playing violin music, fastest as possible and slowing too, while i am walking on the road (some peoples are thinking i might be crazy). Then start right hand to move, same as bow movement its goes same way for ½ hr. I am doing while I am walking and listing violin music of those professionals violinist. So i just make use my self as i am playing. Ha...ha...dsn’t it nice?

Mitoo
space2000

Postby Flying_Eagle on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:17 pm

Hello,
I have a suggestion that works well with playing other instruments also.

Use a small rubber exercise ball, or Isoflex squeeze ball to build up muscle strength in yolur hands.
This also relaxes the muscles if they are stiff.

Both my former Piano teacher and Guitar instructor suggested the same exercise.

Hope this helps others!

Wayne :)
Flying_Eagle

Postby tavorweapon on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:52 am

I keep a distance from the truth of me to come to your reality.
tavorweapon

Postby Sportcer on Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:43 am

It is interesting, too, as well as information.
Sportcer

Return to Practicing