My Practice Notes

Discuss what elements you are practicing here! Feel free to request advice from fellow violinists and share helpful tips!

My Practice Notes

Postby Kitty on Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:39 pm

I've been working with Kim's videos since December 30th. My violin is a no-name brand that I've borrowed from a friend. It could probably use some work, but it seems to do the job. At this point, I have officially completed lesson 4 and am working on lesson 5. Without a shoulder rest, I am finding it somewhat of a challenge to balance the violin while I rotate my hand around the neck to accomplish some of the fingerings. I can do the A scale verrrrrry slowly with half-decent intonation for the most part, but will need much more practice to get it firmly into muscle memory. I am going to try the flashcard site from Kim's homepage to drill the notes as I play. It has been a long time since I learned how to read music, and the violin is not as easy to remember the notes as on the piano.

As a side-note, my local violin shop has a nice-sounding line of Chinese violins from VIVO. When I inquired, they quoted a price for it. I think it will take me about 2 years to save up for it, but I'm going to try. They aren't the prettiest looking, in my mind, but they sounded wonderful. Does anyone have any experience with the brand? I can't find any info on them.
Kitty

Re: My Practice Notes

Postby Kitty on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:20 pm

I've done lessons five and six, practicing about an hour 15 minutes around 5 days a week. I'm eager to get better, but worry that my hand position is all wrong and my intonation isn't perfect. This violin definitely needs new strings, but since it isn't mine, I hate to spend the money on it, or insult my friend by having the set up changed.

Fingernails are still too long. It is hard to keep them short.
Kitty

Postby Giggabyte on Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:15 pm

I took this great content to offer. Who has read to gain knowledge so sure.
Giggabyte

Postby Menonite on Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:24 am

I know what you guys think and tell others is very helpful.
Menonite

Return to Practicing