Finger positions

Discuss what elements you are practicing here! Feel free to request advice from fellow violinists and share helpful tips!

Finger positions

Postby Crescere on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:20 pm

In regard to lesson four I am still confused on how one knows where to put the tapes for the various finger positions. Here is what I did:

1. I purchased a Korg CA40 Advanced Solo Chromatic tuner.
2. While having some work done on a stuck peg I had the violin repair man tune my violin. His tuning matched the Korg readout perfectly.
3. I plucked the A string till the Korg registered a B, C sharp, D, and E, and I taped the respective spots.

I have tested the notes while bowing and the Korg continues to agree. Now I have four finger positions. Right?
Crescere

Re: Finger positions

Postby Kim on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:03 pm

Excellent! It sounds like you did a very good job. People are always asking me for the measurements, but violins are all slightly different, so it is hard to give an exact measurement. Also, if your violin is not 100 percent in tune, then the finger positions will change! So that is another thing to be aware of. Using a tuner to help you place the tapes is definitely the best way to go.
"Bach gave us God's Word. Mozart gave us God's laughter.
Beethoven gave us God's fire. God gave us music that we
might pray without words."
-Author Unknown-
Kim

Postby Friclock on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:40 am

Come back many times To read that I feel great.
Friclock

Postby Alchamison on Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:54 pm

The article was written, I have beneficial interests..
Alchamison

Return to Practicing